ICFA-ICUIL Joint Task Force
- Fermilab site
to promote and
encourage international collaboration between the accelerator and laser
communities for future applications of lasers for particle acceleration.
Committee on Ultra-High Intensity Lasers
Workshops of the ICFA-ICUIL Joint Task Force "High Power Laser Technology
for Future Accelerators."
White Paper (final) High power laser
technology for accelerators.
News from the Chair of the ICFA Beam Dynamics Panel
7 Sept 2011. Minutes of the Joint
Meeting of the ICFA BD Panel and the Advanced and Novel Accelerators Panel
in San Sebastian, Spain
News from the previous Chair, John Jowett (to the end of 2003)
31 December 2003
The proceedings of the HALO'03 workshop have now been
published by AIP.
John Jowett and Helmut Mais have expressed their wish to retire from the Panel
at the end of 2003.
- Weiren Chou now takes over as Chairman of the Panel.
27 November 2003. Some changes are being made to this Web in preparation for its move to a new
location maintained by the new Panel Chairman:
- The "Older links to newsletters" link has been removed. Past
newsletters are available from the Archive.
- The "Email Panel Chairman" has been removed as the email address should
no longer be used. From 1 January 2004, any mail sent to this address will be
automatically forwarded to the new chairman. The address will be deleted on 1 July
2004. [note added: the previous address, wwwslap.cern.ch/icfa
has been replaced by www-bd.fnal.gov/icfabd]
7 November 2003. The Lepton Colliders
DataBase is created by the High Luminosity e+e-
Colliders working group.
- I have decided to resign as Panel Chairman at the end of this year.
has appointed Dr Weiren Chou as Chairman of the Beam Dynamics Panel from 1 January 2004.
18 August 2003.
At its meeting on 15 August 2003 at Fermilab, ICFA approved three proposals for
ICFA Advanced Beam Dynamics Workshops in 2004. These are numbers 31-33 in the
series and are listed on the
page. Further details of these workshops will be available in due
22 July 2003.
ICFA has approved a new member of the Panel, Dr Jie Gao of LAL, Orsay,
10 June 2003.
The Working Group on Future Light Sources has a
new Web page. Please see,
in particular, the obituary of Jean-Louis Laclare, a founding member of the ICFA Beam
1 May 2003.
The next meeting of the ICFA Beam Dynamics Panel will be held during the PAC2003
conference on Tuesday, May 13,
2003, 5:30 - 7:30 pmSenate Suite, Hilton
Hotel, Portland, Oregon, U.S.A. The meeting will be chaired by Dr Weiren Chou.
- Dr Oliver Napoly has retired from the Panel.
31 March 2003.
20 March 2003
- At its meeting in Tsukuba on 13 February 2003, ICFA approved two new members of
the Beam Dynamics Panel. Dr JiuQing Wang of IHEP, Beijing replaces Prof.
Chuang Zhang who retires from the Panel. Dr Junji Urukawa of
- Dr Junji Urukawa of KEK will replace Dr Kohji Hirata when he retires in summer
- ICFA also approved the formation of a new working group on Remote Experiments in
Accelerator Physics, bringing to four the number of working groups under the Beam Dynamics
Panel. Dr David Rice will chair this working group.
26 November 2002.
22 November 2002.
29 October 2002.
Our working group on High Luminosity e+ e- Colliders has a
new home page.
11 October 2002
- At its meeting at CERN on 10 October, ICFA approved the 30th ICFA Advanced Beam
Dynamics Workshop: Beam Dynamics Issues for High Luminosity e+e- Factories, to be held at
SLAC. Tentative dates are 13-17
2003. This will be a continuation of the series of workshops held in
Frascati in 1997, KEK in 1999, and Cornell in 2001. Further information on this
workshop will be available from the Panel's home
page in due course.
- The next issue of the ICFA Beam Dynamics Newsletter will be edited by
Alessandra Lombardi. Contributions,
prepared according to the
recommendations, should be received by mid November.
26 September 2002.
The Web proceedings (transparencies and other material) for the
26th ICFA Advanced Beam Dynamics Workshop:
Nanometre-Size Colliding Beams are now
available on the workshop Web page. It is worth remembering that the same is true
for many other past workshops in the ICFA Advanced Beam Dynamics Series. These
valuable resources are all accessible from the Panel's
5 August 2002
- At its meeting in Amsterdam on 30 July, ICFA approved the 29th ICFA Advanced
Beam Dynamics Workshop: Beam Halo Dynamics, Diagnostics, and Collimation
(HALO03). Further information can be found on our home page.
- Please send further contributions to the August/September issue of the Beam
Dynamics Newsletter to Caterina Biscari
as soon as possible.
27 June 2002.
Yoshihiro Funakoshi of KEK has resigned as chairman of the Panel's working group
on Future High Luminosity e+e- Colliders. The new chairman is Caterina Biscari
21 June 2002.
The latest newsletter, No. 27, is now available. It contains important
information about changes in our editorial methods. Most notably, contributions
in LaTeX will no longer be accepted.
3 June 2002.
We have a
encouraging people to visit our home page and sign up for the new mailing list for the
newsletter. Please help the work of the panel by downloading it, printing it
(preferably A3 or larger and in colour) and displaying it in your institution.
28 May 2002.
The next meeting of the Beam Dynamics Panel will take place on 4 June 2002 at
the EPAC2002 conference in Paris. The
outline agenda is here.
24 April 2002
- The paper edition of the
26th ICFA Beam
Dynamics Newsletter, a special edition on Recirculating Linac Light Sources,
is being mailed out now (although it has been available on the Web for some
- The 27th issue of the newsletter is currently being edited by Weiren Chou.
Please contact him quickly with any
- The 28th issue, due out in August 2002, will be edited by Caterina
Biscari. Please send any contributions
to her by mid-July.
- There have been a number of changes to our home page. The most significant
one is that is is now possible to sign-up to a mailing list for the ICFA Beam Dynamics
Newsletter. Please sign
up immediately (the form is very short and simple!) and you will be notified promptly
by email whenever a new issue of the newsletter becomes available on the Web. Please
also encourage your colleagues to do the same.
- This measure should greatly improve the timeliness of the newsletter
distribution and reach more members of the accelerator physics community at minimal
cost. The paper version of the newsletter always takes some time to print and
- Although we may add known names to the list ourselves to get it started, you
should not worry about this as duplicate entries will be eliminated. Also, we
promise to practise restraint in our use of this list. Apart from three
notifications of newsletters per year, we will only use it for occasional important
announcements. And we will not, of course, give anyone else access to the list.
- In addition, we have consolidated past newsletters into a
new archive, in PDF format,
on the Web. These go back to 1995. If any past Panel members have electronic
versions (or can make scans) of earlier issues, we would be grateful to hear from them.
- The Panel is grateful to Yuhong Zhang of Jefferson Lab for implementing these
20 March 2002
- As part of an effort to consolidate the archive of ICFA Beam Dynamics
Newsletters, we are trying to get as many as possible of the older newsletters into PDF
format and will gradually suppress older links to other formats such as HTML or
- The Web site for the 27th ICFA Advanced Beam Dynamics Workshop on "The
Physics and Applications of High Brightness Electron Beams" has been created.
See the link on the home page.
18 February 2002
- At its meeting on 15 February 2002, ICFA approved five new members of the Beam
Dynamics Panel: Dr Caterina Biscari (LNF-INFN), Dr Alessandra Lombardi (CERN), Dr Olivier
Napoly (DAPNIA-CEA), Dr David Rice
(Cornell University) and Prof. Yuri Shatunov
(BINP). The list of Panel members on the
home page has been updated.
- It also approved the 3rd Workshop on Quantum Aspects of Beam Physics, to be
held in Hiroshima, Japan, in January 2003. This is therefore the 28th ICFA
Advanced Beam Dynamics Workshop and is jointly sponsored by the ICFA Panel on Advanced and
7 February 2002
- Prof. Claudio Pellegrini of UCLA (USA) has expressed his wish to retire from the
His replacement will be announced in due course after approval by ICFA.
ICFA Beam Dynamics Panel Chairman has a new impersonal email address: mailto:ICFA.BeamDynamicsPanel@cern.ch?subject=[ICFA
BDP ChNews]that is preferred for Panel business.
29 January 2002
- The April newsletter will be edited by Weiren Chou (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please send your
contributions to him by 15 March 2002.
- Are you, or do you know, someone completing a Ph.D. Thesis in a Beam Dynamics
subject? If so, please remember to prepare an announcement for the newsletter.
22 January 2002
- New Web pages covering the Panel's
activities in the Americas region are now online at Jefferson Lab.
- Dr J.-L. Laclare of SOLEIL (France), Dr Elcuno A. Perelstein
of Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions, JINR, Dubna (Russia) Dr Dmitri Pestrikov of
Budker Inst. of Nucl. Phys., Novosibirsk (Russia) and have expressed their wish to retire
from the Panel. Their
replacements will be announced in due course after approval by ICFA.
12 December 2001:
Luigi Palumbo, of the University of Rome and the INFN Laboratori Nazionale di Frascati
(Italy) and Prof. Dr. Ingo Hofmann, of the Gesellschaft für Schwerionenforschung
mbH (GSI), Darmstadt (Germany) have retired
from the Panel. Their replacements will be announced in due course after
approval by ICFA.
30 July 2001:
- At it's meeting in Rome on 27 July, ICFA approved the proposal for the
Advanced ICFA Beam Dynamics Workshop on Nanometre-Size Colliding Beams to be held
at CERN, 2-6 September 2002.
21 March 2001:
- We have dropped the idea of having mirror copies of the ICFA Beam Dynamics Panel
Home Page at more than one site around the world. This was done at a time when
Internet access speed was a concern. This is no longer so and there is only one
address for our home page, namely http://wwwslap.cern.ch/icfa/.
Please quote this one and update any links to older ones that may still
This makes is easier to update the Web site. Note that
although the home page is in one location, other pages that form parts of our Web site are
in other locations.
- S. Chattopadhyay's email and postal addresses have changed. Please see the
8 March 2001:
- There will be a meeting of the Panel at PAC'2001.
Exact time and place to be determined.
- Small updates to email and postal addresses of Panel members have been made on
the home page.
13 February 2001:
- Following the ICFA meeting in DESY, we have a new panel member, Swapan
Chattopadhyay of the Center for Beam Physics, LBNL. He will take over the
"Americas" section of our Web site when he moves to TJNL in the near future.
- Two new Advanced Beam
Dynamics Workshops have been approved by ICFA.
- The April newsletter will be edited by Helmut
Mais. Please send contributions directly to him or to another newsletter editor
by the deadline of 15 March 2001.
- Note that, late last year, the former tau-Charm Factory Working Group was
replaced by a new working group on High Luminosity e+e- Colliders (Chairman: Y.
29 January 2001:
- D. Whittum (SLAC) has resigned from the Panel. A replacement member and
home for the "Americas" region Web pages will be announced shortly.
Return to ICFA Beam Dynamics Panel home
Last updated: October 15, 2015
Some old links that are no longer valid or useful were dropped.
Security, Privacy, Legal