EPICURE Software Release No. 70.0
Remote DISNEY workstations
The DISNEY vaxcluster provides data acquisition for the EPICURE system.
Workstations which are actually members of the DISNEY cluster gain
graphics capabilities not available to non-members.
However, a node which joins the DISNEY cluster is dedicated to data acquisition
using the software provided on the DISNEY cluster, and is not available for
installation of other software packages.
Experiments which wish to
provide workstations to become members of the DISNEY cluster should
be aware of the following requirements.
- DECNET name and number will be acquired by RDCS.
Node will be named DIS nnn
where nnn is the experiment number. If there is more than one
workstation from any one experiment, subsequent workstations would be named
DS nnn2, 3, ....
- The node must have a local disk to be dedicated to paging and swapping.
The disk must be at least 40M.
- The node must have at least 6M of memory. If you wish to run graphics,
you will want more memory.
- The node must be licensed to run at least the following software:
- DECNET E/N
- GKS RUNTIME
- The software maintenance will be added to the DISNEY maintenance contract
with Digital, to ensure that all upgrades provided to the DISNEY boot disks is
legal on the client.
- Hardware maintenance will be coordinated through the DISNEY management.
We need to know when a node is having problems, and will call in the repair.
- The node must have a lockup cable and be securable to a solid item, such
as a desk.
- The following information must be provided for our records:
Additional information which is helpful if available:
- CPU type (VS2000, VS3100, VS3200, etc)
- serial number
- Ethernet number. It will start with ``08-00-2B'' since a workstation is
Digital equipment. We can help you find this number, if necessary.
- Physical location
- Color or black & white
- NAL property tag number, if there is one
- Purchase order number, if purchased through Fermi
- DEC number from paperwork received with original shipment of node
- date of shipment, to determine if under warranty
Keywords: Epicure, DISNEY, workstation, experiment
Distribution: upon request only
Security, Privacy, Legal